RYA Coastal Skipper Course
The RYA Coastal Skipper course (now known as Yachtmaster Coastal) teaches you the skills and techniques required to skipper a yacht safely on coastal and offshore passages by day and night and includes:
- Passage Planning
- Preparation for sea
- Yacht handling under power
- Yacht handling under sail
- Adverse weather conditions
- Emergency situations
|Course:||RYA Coastal Skipper Course -Tidal Endorsement|
|Cost:||£640 See Special Offers|
|Duration:||5 days and 5 nights|
|Pre course experience:||15 days seatime (2 days as skipper) 300miles, 8 night hours|
|Assumed Knowledge:||Navigation to Coastal skipper theory level and good sailing ability|
|Next Course Dates:||View Our Dates|
|Booking Form:||Book now|
The cost of this course includes:
- Accommodation onboard
- Use of lifejackets & foul weather clothing
- Marina fees & fuel
- All breakfasts and lunches onboard
- 3 evening meals onboard
The objective of the RYA Coastal Skipper course is to teach you the skills and techniques you will require to skipper a yacht safely on coastal and offshore passages by day and night. The course follows the RYA syllabus and includes:
- Can Prepare a passage plan taking into consideration weather, crew ability, vessel suitability, duration, victualling, charts and publications required etc.
- Aware of Customs procedures.
Preparation for sea
- Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages.
- Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, equipment and engine checks.
- Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of soundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerations.
- Can pilot a yacht by day and night.
Passage making and ability as skipper
- Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew.
- Can organise the navigation, deckwork and domestic duties of a yacht on passage.
- Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends.
- Is aware of crew welfare on passage
- Can use electronic navigation equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes.
Yacht handling under power
- Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power.
- All berthing and leaving berth situations in various conditions of wind and tide.
Yacht handling under sail
- Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space.
- Anchoring and mooring in various conditions or wind and tide.
- Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing.
Adverse weather conditions
- Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds.
- Navigation and general in restricted visibility.
- Recovery of man overboard under power and sail.
- Understands actions to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues.
Practical courses include: accommodation onboard, use of lifejackets & foul weather clothing, marina fees & fuel. All breakfasts and lunches are provided and 2 evening meals.
RYA Training Gibraltar As of January 2019 we will be offering all RYA training courses from Gibraltar once again, based in Queensway Quay Marina we can deliver tidal courses in the straits of Gibraltar and beyond, West to Cadiz, East to Malaga and South to Morocco and Ceuta. Shore based theory courses also available at our Gibraltar classrooms. With mild winter weather Gibraltar is a perfect location to train for any RYA course during the long UK winter months so please let us know early the dates that fit you...read more