RYA Coastal Skipper Course
The Coastal Skipper course (now known as Yachtmaster Coastal) teaches you the skills and techniques required to skipper a yacht safely on coastal and offshore passages by day and night and includes:
- Passage Planning
- Preparation for sea
- Yacht handling under power
- Yacht handling under sail
- Adverse weather conditions
- Emergency situations
|Course:||Coastal Skipper Course -Tidal Endorsement|
|Duration:||5 days and 5 nights|
|Pre course experience:||15 days seatime (2 days as skipper) 300miles, 8 night hours|
|Assumed Knowledge:||Navigation to Coastal skipper theory level and good sailing ability|
|Next Course Dates:||View Our Dates|
|Booking Form:||Contact Us|
The cost of this course includes:
- Accommodation onboard
- Use of lifejackets & foul weather clothing
- Marina fees & fuel
- All breakfasts and lunches onboard
- 3 evening meals onboard
The objective of the RYA Coastal Skipper course is to teach you the skills and techniques you will require to skipper a yacht safely on coastal and offshore passages by day and night. The course follows the RYA syllabus and includes:
- Can Prepare a passage plan taking into consideration weather, crew ability, vessel suitability, duration, victualling, charts and publications required etc.
- Aware of Customs procedures.
Preparation for sea
- Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages.
- Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, equipment and engine checks.
- Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of soundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerations.
- Can pilot a yacht by day and night.
Passage making and ability as skipper
- Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew.
- Can organise the navigation, deckwork and domestic duties of a yacht on passage.
- Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends.
- Is aware of crew welfare on passage
- Can use electronic navigation equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes.
Yacht handling under power
- Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power.
- All berthing and leaving berth situations in various conditions of wind and tide.
Yacht handling under sail
- Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space.
- Anchoring and mooring in various conditions or wind and tide.
- Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing.
Adverse weather conditions
- Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds.
- Navigation and general in restricted visibility.
- Recovery of man overboard under power and sail.
- Understands actions to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues.
Practical courses include: accommodation onboard, use of lifejackets & foul weather clothing, marina fees & fuel. All breakfasts and lunches are provided and 2 evening meals.
Late Season Special Offers Special offer: To boost the 2017 sailing season we are offering a great reduction for group bookings of 4 people on the same yacht during the same week, 4 places for only £1600.00 that’s £400.00 each for any RYA Training course here in Malta. The dates for this offer are between the 1st November and 31st December 2017. First come first served.read more